Howdy Partner!

This here is the eclectic blog of artist/illustrator Ellen Stedfeld, for a glimpse into my kooky mind and to see some of the many things I do. You may find it helpful to note that this originated in 2008 as a place to display galleries of my artwork (still temporarily viewable at right) but has gradually taken on a more blog-like form, and my current objective - now in the midst of 2014 and entering 2015 - is to make it be so!

Since I get too busy actually doing things to talk about them all, I apologize for any lapses or anomalies in chronology. If you really want to know what I'm up to, visit me at Carmine Street Comics or my next event. Otherwise, enjoy!

(My new and improving website is ellesaurarts.com, and you can follow me on Twitter @ellesaur and Instagram @ellesaurarts)


Recent Events


Upcoming event with Pronto Comics, Phrases to Pages! Anyone who
has any affinity for comics (or beer) should absolutely attend. The fun happens Saturday, February 22nd. For details, visit their Facebook page.





Mythical Creatures Drawing Workshop at Enigma Bookstore!
I'll be teaching 6-week class starting Saturday, November 9th, 11:30 - 1:30pm. Details are on the flier - feel free to print them out and share! Also, come check out the store's impressive selection of sci-fi, fantasy, and mystery books.

(For those joining later, individual workshops are only $30 each)


First sketch of NYCC2013! On Tuesday, drew the speakers at
Pronto Comics NYCC Survival Guide with host Patrick J. Reilly, and special guests Jake Young, Jamal Igle, Sina Grace, and Chris Giarrusso.

Keep an eye out for me, with drawing holster and Ellesaur bag,
at NEW YORK COMIC CON this Thursday through Sunday! As usual, wandering the show and sketching panels, but I'll also be facilitating
the Carmine Street Comics space. Visit our artists, along with Arctype Press and Tea Kay at BOOTH 1559, around the corner from Marvel. Haven't set exactly what times I'll be showing at the table myself,
but check back here, or tweets from @Ellesaur, for details.

Also check out Mindy Indy, Carlos Abdu, Jason Quinones, and Sean Von Gorman in Artists Alley. Nathaniel Burney's Illustrated Guide to Criminal Law at 1359, Jerome Walford's Nowhere Man at 1137, and ask for Pronto Comics books at Collectors Kingdom booth 2679.


Exhibiting at the Locust Moon Comics Festival in Philadelphia - Saturday, October 5th! Just make your way over to The Rotunda on 4014 Walnut Street. See you in a jiffy!



Gearing up for the Baltimore Comic Con! I'll be sharing a table with Carlos Abdu and Mindy Indy, so come see us on September 6-7th at the Baltimore Convention Center. We'll be at A286!
If you're a New York local, preview and get first dibs on my new work by visiting me on Thursdays at Carmine Street Comics.

Countdown to Baltimore Comic Con:
#1 Countdown to Baltimore Con
https://www.facebook.com/events/558455360888525/
#2 Hanging in the Bat Crib
https://www.facebook.com/events/498860966866331/
#3 Got Me A Batmobile
https://www.facebook.com/events/221162968036642/
#4 The Mystery Surprise!
https://www.facebook.com/events/210065799155833/
#5 This Week - Convention Send-off Extravaganza
https://www.facebook.com/events/626463517373677/




Pronto Comics just held another lively Phrases to Pages event!
Saturday, July 27th, we partied all night with cupcakes, beer, and spontaneous comics-making. Pictured here are our esteemed judges George O'Connor, Larry Hama and Sean Von Gorman as they discuss the winning pages. As usual, I had a table set up on the side for artists to come talk with me and show their work. More info can be found at https://www.facebook.com/events/534671656595208/
If you missed it this time, the next Phrases to Pages is coming up in February, and there will be many other exciting events in between!




BIG NEWS! I am now Artist-in-Residence for Carmine Street Comics,
a new shop that opened its doors in the West Village on May 1st. Drawing comics from the window most every Thursday (2014 edit: changed to Friday), where you can watch me work, request an impromptu lesson, or get the inside scoop on my projects-in-progress. Offering $5 Insta-Sketch, printed copies of my mini-comics, and unique comics-themed ceramics. If you like what you see, I gladly appreciate tips and commissions for larger art pieces. Bring me food, and get a free sketch... I'm stuck at the table all day, and often late into the night.
"The comics guys" Jon Gorga and Mike Novo are running the place, so you're guaranteed to have tons of fun. Great conversation, personal recommendations, and lots of special events! A big thanks to those who stopped by for the Grand Opening, Free Comic Book Day, Community Showcase featuring our storefront artists, the Jerome Walford book release, Geoffrey Hayes signing his newest title from Toon Books, and many other unique gatherings.
Hope to see you there again, or make sure to visit if you haven't yet! Come to the only store that lets you meet comics creators every day, and join the discussion in our weekly Carmine Comics Reading Club. Bring along all your friends (or enemies) - even if they don't love comics, we'll find the perfect thing to change their mind. The space is shared with long-time staple of the neighborhood, Unoppressive Non-imperialist Bargain Books.



EXHIBITED AT MOCCA FEST 2013! APRIL 6-7TH, TABLE F194
with Mindy Indy and Pronto Comics. Selling mini-comics and comics-themed ceramics. Thanks to all who visited me there, or caught up with me while sketching panelists and wandering the floor. Still want a hand-painted magnet, mug, or other item? You haven't missed your chance... just email me (ellen.sted at gmail.com) and let me know what you're interested in. Pick up at Carmine Street Comics, where I will be resident artist, opening in just a couple weeks!



My sketch appeared on the promotional image for Brother K's recent show at the Delancey.



Won the sketchbook contest at the February Dare2Draw, hosted by the Society of Illustrators.The theme was Beauty and the Beast, so my interpretation was to draw a giant octopus or squid-like monster about to be speared by a mermaid. Then was a runner-up for March's Quick-Draw contest!


Lately befriended John Konecsni (pen name Declan Finn) who has - and is in the process of - releasing a few novels. Plan to be doing some sketches related to them in the near future, hence he has mentioned me in his vlog.